Monday, October 15, 2012

A little Background

There used to be a TV serial I loved way back in the 80s - The Man from Atlantis, dude used to swim like a fish and it wasn't special effect. He'd have his hands to side and wade through the waters like a mermaid, and all I could remember was how awesome it was. I have lived all those years wanting more than anything to swim, and swim good. So after many wasted opportunities which in hindsight I realize were opportunities; I registered at a swimming pool here in kaduna and my intent is to become a pretty darn good swimmer.

Based on my limited knowledge of swimming you might wonder by what parameters I would attribute the "Pretty darn good" title to my swimming. I suppose for now that means being able to do "Butterfly" "Breaststroke" "Freestyle" "Backstroke" and to thread the waters with ease. I suppose the definition will evolve as I learn more.

In the course of this blog I would give a blow by blow account (hmmm blow by blow hehe) of my progress, well at the time of writing this down I have nearly perfected my breaststrokes though I can't go more than 60m without stopping to catch a breath. Now that's some major improvement if I do say so myself... which of course I do.

Why have a picked Michael Phelps? Well the same reason I chose to play like Michael Jordan when I took up basketball, metaphorically the name suggests I want toswim like the best. Secondly.. well I don't know a lot of professional swimmers seeing as I don't follow the sport. Well what's there to follow? Thirdly... well there is no third reason worthy of note. In the end, I just want to be good, very very good at swimming, a strong desire with an origin I don't understand.
Welcome, as we take this journey together in my quest of "Becoming Michael Phelps".

No comments:

Post a Comment